Friday, November 6, 2009

"one team, one dream"... interview with Stylist extraordinaire, SUZANNE KING ...


How did you first start out in styling
?
I first started in the industry as a trained hair and makeup artist, I had been working for a few years when I was approached by a photographer to do hair makeup and styling so I said yes and the styling side grew from there.

Do you still do Hair & Make-up or Styling only today?
Yes I work in both fields, sometimes just styling sometimes just hair n makeup or at times all three depending on the brief and workload.

Are there people you regularly work with in a team or does it change all the time?
I have been extremely fortunate enough to be able to work on a regular basis with leading Advertising photographer Andrea's Smetana and his team, i
really love working with them as everyone has creative input and we work together to achieve the brief. I also work with a few other photographers and producers in advertising, I have found over the years that when you can work in with a team you can learn what their style is and you know what to expect from them and they know what to expect from you. Also if you can have a few teams you can pull together and help out when budgets are tough I call it the " one team one dream" idea. You look after them and in turn they look after you

Do you have a most memorable shoot?

I would have to have to say I have a few memorable shoots and they are all for completely different reasons.

One would definitely be a shoot I worked on with Hugh Jackman, I found it so refreshing to work with such a huge name in Hollywood yet have him be so humble and a complete gentleman.


I, for completely non creative reasons, loved working with Snoop Dogg because I have loved his music and been a huge fan since I was at school, which unfortunately is a little time ago now!!


This job definitely has some perks and again another memorable shoot which I'm extremely fortunate to have been able to work on was a trip to Bali. When we got there we had locations already set up but the photographer met what I would call the Australian version of Indiana Jones, and he became our "tour guide" for the rest of the week. He just had so many contacts which allowed us to shoot in the most amazing and breath taking locations which without him we would never have had access to. I remember walking into some private government member's residence and no building codes were kept so they had pools wrapping 'round the inside and outside dropping off into the rice fields, and so on.

How about a favorite image resulting from a shoot that you styled on?

It's hard to pick a favorite job as their have been so ma
ny I have loved working on but I would have to say one that stands out to me was a Hyundai Tucson shoot I did with photographer Andreas Smetana. The brief was a damsel in distress needing her hero to rescue her from a spider whilst on the bonnet of the car.


The reason why I loved it was the styling was very "Mills 'n' Boon" with a comedic edge, the sky was a wash with drama and we shot it all in separate elements so I had to match a house door with the one on location as the existing one didn't work for their angle. I also had to have a fence made and source greenery which again added to the drama and mystic the lighting created.

The finished shot ended up appearing in an industry top images annual in Israel.


Do you work in editorial as well as advertising?

Not any longer, I use to work in editorial but I find advertising is what interests me the most.

How about film / TVCs and longer term project jobs?

I still work on TVC's but not too many, I find I much prefer stills to TVC's. I have worked on short films also but have never gone down the direction of film. I always thought that one day when I was older I would move into film as you get booked for such a long period of time from months to a year so I thought the stress of needing to find work on a daily basis would be over but I now don't think I would like to be tied to the same work. I think I love the fast turn around of print and feel I'm addicted to the fast pace
and pressure of tight deadlines!!!!!

What types of styling jobs dominate your folio at the moment or is there a mix?
I think there is definitely a mix in my folio from celebrities, lifestyle, and mainstream advertising.



Do you use assistant stylists on many jobs?

Yes I do use assistants, not on every job as I do think I have a slight control issue and I'm not the best at letting go of tasks for someone else to help create my vision.


How have you found this year given the GFC and it's impact on the industry?
It has definitely been the slowest year I can remember and I have been in the industry for 10-12 years now. I will however say that again working with the photographers I do has allowed me to stay rolling along when I know of so many people in our industry being made redundant and having to look for alternate work. It seems to be picking up again wh
ich is a sigh of relief but I would say the budgets have not come back to what they once were.

Who would you say influences and inspires you the most in your work?

I have a variety of different influences from fashion desig
ners like Roberto Cavaand Karlli, Balmain and Karl Lagerfeld. I''m influenced from obviously fashion shows in Paris and Milan but what also inspires me are shows like grand designs where people take huge risks designing out of the ordinary conceptual homes using all different forms of materials.

I would also say certain music icons for me are huge influences in w
hat inspires my style. I love Beyonce, she dresses sexy chic, confident and always with a level of bling!!! Other style icons for me are Kanye West and Sean John combs. Weather it be an add campaign for their next fragrance, the cover of a leading fashion magazine or there new music clip they have they sleekest cars, locations, latest and hottest fashion designers and always push their style to the limit which I cant help but admire and like to take segments of in my own briefs when I can!!


What are your thoughts on social media sites, like flickr, facebook, twitter, etc.?
Honestly don't like them at all. Call me a technophobe but I'm just not interested in following what people are doing every minute of the day and really how do they find the time to keep people updated and what are people doing finding the time to read it!!!

How about your thoughts on electronic marketing?

I think that it definitely has its advantages especially in regards with time for everyone. If you have a website then no one has to spend time waiting for a book to arrive and in turn be sent back. Its also a great way of sending an e-card which just keeps clients updated on your latest campaigns.


I do still however love to keep a portfolio as I don't think you can ever replace beautiful prints!


Your view on agents?

My personal view on agents are they defiantly have a key role in our industry but I have found overtime with styling in particular that the producer and photographers I work with like being able to speak directly with you. If there is a change in a brief be it an addition or a complete restart on a theme its easier to call you direct and know straight away what can be resolved and how instead of having to wait for an agent to get hold
of you had work through the solution. It may mean that dealing direct without an agent you can waver some charges that an agent would insist be paid to you but as I said for myself I like the direct approach.

What advice would you give someone starting out in styling (and/or hair & make-up)?

mmm my advice would have to be.... follow your passion, this is definitely not as glamorous as it is made out to be so you definitely need to have a passion for your craft, its a lot of hard work, you may need to work long hrs and there is no such thing as a weekend if sourcing needs to be achieved for a tight deadline.


Try flicking though all styles of magazines be it fashion, lifestyle or food and see who the photographers and stylists are, this way you can start narrowing down certain styles you feel most drawn to . Contact agencies who represent these photographers, stylists etc. and ask to be given the chance to work as an assistant for free, the more onset knowledge you can get the more you learn, most of what goes on behind the scenes onset cant be taught at colleges and is what will put you lengths ahead of other people trying to get a start in the industry.

I also think its important to be able to try and assist on all diff types of areas like film, TVCs, editorial and advertising. It's interesting ho
w different each of the fields are and the skills required so until you experience all then you cant really find what you maybe best suited for.

Anything else you’d like to share?

Not sure how to keep this answer short so here goes, basically the most important things Io feel that make a successful stylist in this industry is common sense, working at an extremely fast pace and above all else open communication which definitely involves listening to the clients needs!!!!!!


All images in this post are copyright protected ©

SUZANNE KING STYLIST

Mobile: 0414 865 076

Email: suzanneking@ozemail.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment